Saturday, October 22, 2005

Off Casablanca

Quick update

05.15 position 34.05.16N 008.38.8W and we are passing Casablanca to the south east though I have to believe the chart that it's there as I can't see any evidence of it - we're about 50 miles off the coast. It's been a quiet night so far, just one huge freighter passed by silently about an hour ago. I say silently though we've had the engine on most of the time, and I've been listening to Phillip (my iPod) as well so it could have been making a racket, but it just 'looked' silent to me. Quite eerie the way they get closer without seeming to move at all, and suddenly they're right beside you, and what was a little cluster of lights a while ago is now a leviathan. Wonder what they think of us? Probably didn't even see us!

Reading the lights on the vessels is a bit of a challenge and judging when best to change course is quite a skill. Thrilling when you get it right, fatal when you get it wrong! Only one shooting star tonight compared to three last night and not a dolphin in sight.

This is the first entry I have managed to do when underway (albeit without the boat heeling) so it's quite momentous. I LOVE Avomine! Yesterday, I also managed to cook a simple meal without a hint of nausea. Nick is asleep and has been since 00.30. I keep doing longer watches than necessary, not because I'm considerate or dedicated or anything like that, but because I'm banking up my hours so that when and if I feel sick, I can cash them all in without feeling too guilty! Looking forward to brushing my teeth and getting in the bunk. Just another 25 mins to go now. More later.

No comments: